Saturday, July 12, 2008

Postcards from D.F.

On a recent trip to Mexico City with my mamá, I was able to scribble a few postcards to some of my regular correspondents. But thanks to "Months 7-10" syndrome -the peak of last-minute productivity in all dissertation fieldwork -handwritten letters from Avenida del Pacifico have been scarce.

So, to make up for my absence in your mailbox, read on for your "postcard" from Mexico City. Just like the real thing. Without licking all those stamps.


Dear [Insert name here],

Saludos desde el Distrito Federal! I'm taking a break from Tijuana to meet my mother in Mexico City for a week's vacation. So far, so good: though it's clearly unnatural for mothers and daughters to spend 24-7 together on holiday, no blood has been shed. Well, as long as you don't count a few F-bombs flung in a tense, vicious moment.

No trace of familial angst: All smiles in front of La Casa de los Azulejos

Necessary equipment when traveling with relatives

Mexico City is awesome! We're hot on the trail of murals, museums, and good restaurants. Walked the Centro Histórico, sipped cappuccinos at Bellas Artes overlooking the Alameda park, ate seafood with the power suits at Contramar, leaned back and absorbed more Diego Rivera murals than I can count.

An apothecary of sorts

Torre Latinoamericana viewed from Bellas Artes

Mom isn't a fan of chile heat, but I love tacos al pastor

Frida Kahlo's Casa Azul in Coyoacán

One unexpected highlight was participating in the capital's annual Pride Parade. After noticing a high number of leather pants and g-strings in the Zócalo -Mexico's hallowed central plaza -we bought rainbow flags and joined the party. My favorite: watching trannies thrust their crotches toward the Christian protesters holding placards ("Gay person, Jesus is your true friend"). What would Jesus do, indeed.

Rainbow flags, campesinos, and the church

All aboard for jello shots!

Needing a break from the fast lane, we took a bus Xalapa, Veracruz, to visit my friend Heidi for a couple tranquil days. Saw torrential waterfalls and smelled roasters in small coffee towns.

Waterfall in Xico, Veracruz

Heidi and I discovered an advertisement [below] for "Neurotics Anonymous." Note to self: after I get mom safely on her plane, send away for membership...

Lions and tigers and PhD students, oh my

Wish you were here! Love, kt.

1 comment:

Craig said...

There's some Neurotics Anonymous in the states, if you speak Spanish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurotics_Anonymous